Skip to Content


Types of Transfer Credit

Students can earn college credit in a variety of ways. Review the information below to see if any of these options may be right for you.

Dual Enrollment/College in High School

Dual Enrollment Programs and College in High School Programs allow qualified students to take college courses while enrolled in high school. Credits are accepted by most colleges nationwide, making the programs a great way for students to get a jump start on a college degree. Contact your guidance office to find out what opportunities are available in your school.

Credit for Career and Technical Education

The Students Occupationally and Academically Ready (SOAR) Program allows qualified high school students enrolled in approved career and technical Programs of Study to receive college credit toward a diploma, certification or degree in a similar program at a postsecondary institution. Learn more

Credit by Examination

Colleges often award college credit to students who earn acceptable scores on standardize d subject exams like those listed below. Use the links to learn more about each exam, include the cost and how to register. Students should contact their current college or transfer college directly to find out which exams are accepted and the exam score that is required to receive credit.

Use the Search for Exam Equivalencies to learn which exams are accepted for credit by PA TRAC colleges.

Credit for Prior Learning

Adult learners have personal and professional learning experiences that may lead to college credit. Colleges refer to this as "prior learning" since the experiences occurred before enrolling in college. Examples include credit for industry-related licensure, portfolio assessment and life or work experience. Check the American Council on Education (ACE) Credit College and University Network to find colleges that considers ACE credit recommendations for prior learning.

Military Credit

Service members and veterans often can receive college credit for training, coursework and occupational specialty earned in the military. The American Council on Education (ACE) collaborates with the U.S. Department of Defense to review military training and experiences and recommend appropriate college credit. ACE credit recommendations appear in the ACE Military Guide and on military transcripts. For more information visit For Veterans.